Agency Help

Federal Agencies:

If you can't get an answer from a federal agency in a timely fashion, or if you feel you have been treated unfairly, our office may be able to help resolve a problem or get you the information you need. While we cannot guarantee you a favorable outcome, we will do our best to help you receive a fair and timely response to your problem.

Residents of the 7th Congressional District of Wisconsin can contact our office for assistance in dealing with Federal agencies. 

Please include all pertinent information and claim numbers in your correspondence—such as:

  • Your Social Security number for a case involving Social Security;
  • VA claim number for a case with Department of Veterans Affairs;
  • Taxpayer identification number (Social Security number, if individual) for an Internal Revenue Service problem, etc.;
  • Your address, home phone number and daytime phone number (if different than home) so that we can obtain any additional information from you that might be necessary;
  • Copies of any related documents or correspondence that you may have from the agency involved;

Please Note: The Privacy Act of 1974 (5 U.S.C. § 552a) requires that Members of Congress or their staff have written authorization before they can obtain information about an individual's case. 

Frequently Asked Questions

IRS (Internal Revenue Service)

Question: Where is my refund?

Answer: You can check your status at

2022 Tax Filing Season Begins January 24th

Key Points:

  • Have all the information they need before preparing and e-filing their 2021 tax return.
    • The above is especially important for people who received advance Child Tax Credit payments or Economic Impact Payments (American Rescue Plan stimulus payments) in 2021; You will need the amounts of these payments when preparing their tax return. The IRS is mailing special letters to recipients, and they can also check amounts received on
  • Filing electronically with direct deposit and avoiding a paper tax return is more important than ever this year.
  • Submitting an accurate tax return will avoid processing delays, refund delays and later IRS notices.
  • The IRS will begin accepting and processing 2021 tax returns on January 24, 2022.
  • The filing deadline is April 18, automatic extensions of time to file are available.

Additional information is in IRS News Release 2022-08, copy attached.


The Department of State

Question: What is the status of my passport application?

Answer: You can check your application status at

Notes from

What to Expect:

  • Mail delays are impacting when we receive passport applications for processing. Our processing times begin the day we receive your application, not the day you mail it.
  • Routine service can take up to 18 weeks from the day an application is submitted to the day a new passport is received. The 18-week timeframe includes up to 12 weeks for processing and up to 6 weeks for mailing times on the front and back end.
  • Expedite service (for an additional $60) can take up to 12 weeks from the day an application is submittedto the day a new passport is received. The 12-week timeframe includes up to 6 weeks for processing and up to 6 weeks for mailing times on the front and back end.

We reccomend you:

  •  Send your application to us via trackable mail, so you can track your application before it enters our system. This can be done whether applying at an acceptance facility or by mail.
  •  Pay an extra $17.56 for 1-2 day delivery for the return of your completed passport.

Use Self-Service Tools Online: You can get your questions answered immediately by using one of the self-service tools available on our site. Check online for your passport status. Customer service representatives will not give status updates over the phone. 

Planning to Travel? Apply Early! Apply at least six months before planned travel. Due to limited availability for urgent travel appointments, we cannot guarantee you can receive in-person service at a passport agency or center. We are prioritizing customers with life-or-death emergencies. We do not charge a fee to make an appointment. Visit our Passport Agency and Center page to learn more.

Appointments are Limited, Must Be Scheduled by Phone: Call 1-877-487-2778 or 1-888-874-7793 TDD/TTY from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. ET, Mondays through Fridays. Learn more to see if you qualify for an appointment.

Renew By Mail: Adults with 10-year passports can renew them by mail instead of appearing in person. 

USCIS (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services)

Question: What is the status of my (self, spouse, child, parent, family member, fiancé, etc.) application?

Answer: You can checked the status of the application at

Notes from USCIS..GOV:

Filing a form online is easier and faster than paper filing. It gives you a simple and personalized way to track your case online. You can also access other USCIS services.

Use our online tools and resources to manage your case:

Please use these tools at before requesting an inquiry sent on your behalf.

SSA (Social Security Administration)

Question: How do I get a new or replacement SSN card?

Answer: Click here to request a replacement Social Security Number (SSN) Card Online

Notes from SSA.GOV:

You can get an original Social Security card or a replacement card if yours is lost or stolen. There is no charge for a Social Security card. This service is free.

You can use a my Social Security account to request a replacement Social Security card online if you:

  • Are a U.S. citizen age 18 years or older with a U.S. mailing address;
  • Are not requesting a name change or any other change to your card; and
  • Have a driver's license or a state-issued identification card from one of the many participating states. If your state does not yet participate in this service, check back soon. More states are added regularly.

If you cannot apply for a card online, you will need to show the required documents.  We need to see different documents depending on your citizenship and the type of card you are requesting. See Learn What Documents You Need to find out what documents you will have to show. Fill out and print an Application for a Social Security Card; and mail your application and documents to your local Social Security office.

Question: How long does it take to get a decision after I apply for disability benefits?

Answer: You can contact an SSA local office to apply for benefits or obtain an attorney to assist.

Notes from SSA.GOV:

The time it takes to get a decision on your disability application can vary depending on:

  • The nature of your disability;
  • How quickly we can get your medical evidence from your doctor or other medical source;
  • Whether it is necessary to send you for a medical examination; and
  • Whether we review your application for quality purposes.

If you would like to apply for disability benefits, you can use our online application.

Applying online for disability benefits offers several advantages:

  • You can start your disability application immediately. There is no need to wait for an appointment;
  • You can apply from the convenience of your home, or on any computer; and
  • You can avoid trips to a Social Security office, saving you time and money.

You can log in or create a my Social Security account to check the status of your pending application. 

CMS (Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services)

Question: How do I sign up for Medicare?

Answer: Are you almost 65 and receiving Social Security Benefits?  You can apply online at

Notes from SSA.GOV:

If you already get Social Security benefits: CMS will automatically enroll you in Medicare Hospital Insurance (Part A) and Medical Insurance (Part B) and mail you all the information you need a few months before you become eligible.

Note: Residents of Puerto Rico or foreign countries won’t automatically receive Part B. They must elect this benefit.

If you don’t get Social Security benefits and are not ready to apply for them yet, you should sign up for Medicare three months before your 65th birthday.
The easiest way to apply for Medicare is by using our online application.

* If you don’t wish to apply online, make an appointment by calling us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778), 8:00 am – 7:00 pm, Monday through Friday.

Important Information about Medical Insurance (Part B) Coverage
Because you must pay a premium for Part B coverage, you can turn it down. However, if you decide to sign up for Part B later, your coverage can be delayed and you may have to pay a late enrollment penalty for as long as you have Part B coverage. Your monthly premium will go up 10 percent for each 12-month period you were eligible for Part B, but didn’t sign up for it unless you qualify for a special enrollment period.

Other enrollment situations:

You should also contact Social Security about applying for Medicare if one of the following applies:

  • You’re a disabled widow or widower between age 50 and age 65, but haven’t applied for disability benefits because you’re already getting another kind of Social Security benefit.
  • You’re a government employee and became disabled before age 65.
  • You, your spouse, or your dependent child has permanent kidney failure.
  • You had Medicare Part B in the past, but dropped the coverage.
  • You turned down Medicare Part B when you first got Part A.
  • You or your spouse worked for the railroad industry.